Today I thought I would organise a box of things we need for taking Keir’s weekly blood test . It has been stored in an old shoe box which has started to fall apart.
We used to take blood from Keir once every other day and then when he was around 6 months old we have only needed to do it once a week. He used to have his blood taken from his heel and about 6 months ago we moved to his fingers. His dad does the blood test, I have not been brave enough to do it yet. His daddy will ask which finger he would like him to take blood from and Keir will choose and point one . He does a very cute squint with his eyes but hardly ever cries. Brave brave soldier!
For keeping the blood test things, I used a clear box which we had bought from Ikea and found some animal theme stickers from one of their sticker books and stuck them on. He hasn’t seen it yet but I am sure he will be distracted for few minutes looking at these. I will let him decorate his box with some more stickers later.
Here’s the list of things we keep in here:
- Little plasters for little fingers
- Cotton wool to stop the bleeding
- Lancets for pricking his finger ( we have three different types in the box which we have used in different stages. We currently are using the mushroom type – white with blue tip)
- NHS Guthrie Test Card (same as newborn heel prick card) and protective sleeves
- Brown envelope with lab’s address on
- Finally First Class stamps
We aimed to do his blood tests on Sundays and put them in the post for Monday. We usually get the results from the hospital via text message by Friday of that week. If his results are out of range then the dietitians will call us to discuss.